Monday, March 8, 2010

Morning tea with the Rockhampton Order of Australia group

In the Australian Honour system appointments to the Order of Australia confer recognition of outstanding achievment and service.  The Medal of the Order of Australia is awarded for service worthy of particular recognition.

In 2006 in the Queens Birthday Honours I was awarded an OAM.  The award was an extreme honour!  My mother was outside of her self, I had told her when I received my letter of acceptance.  She had so many friends to tell, but had to hold it back until it was announced on the Queens Birthday weekend in 2006.  However, I did not receive my award until October 2006 at Government House Brisbane and it was presented by Quentin Bryce AC the then Governor of Queensland.  Quentin is now the Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia.
At the presentation, my wife Helen, my sister Amanda who flew over from Auckland New Zealand and close friends and work colleges Barney and Carolyn.  

So each year the Order of Australia group hold two meeting, morning tea in March and a luncheon in September.

Since its inception there has been 15,933 Order of Australia Medals presented.  You can go to the site and read about all the other awards presented to Australian men and women.

Todays morning tea was held at the Rockhampton Leagues Club approx 40 people attended and listened to Emra Marxsen OAM speak about what he has been doing for War Widows over many years.  I invited two close friends of ours John and Mary and after the meeting John and I had lunch at the Brunswick while Helen and Mary went to a 60th birthday party.

The highest award in Australia is the Victoria Cross of Australia and there has been only one presented to Trooper Mark Donaldson VC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging is fun, why not start your own? I'm happy to read your comments, but if you want to sell me something don't bother